Thursday 29 November 2012

New Feature: Thriftbag Thursday

That tree fell over during Sandy
Welcome to Thriftbag Thursday.

Let me explain that this is not yer usual fashion post: I am not a fashion blogger. I am not very into fashion at all. I am not cool; I am blisteringly uncool. I also have a very capsule wardrobe since emigrating: I own one pair of jeans. I own one mascara, one lipstick, one eyeshadow. Getting my Green Card was expensive, so I'm very careful with what I spend!

A lot of what I own is thrifted or vintage or altered in some way. I'm very good at scouting out designer second hand goods on a tight budget. It's that make-do and mend mentality I learned from my East London born grandparents, my fine art graduate mother … and from spending a huge chunk of money this year on emigrating!

These are some of my favorite finds that I brought over from the UK, where vintage/thrift/charity shops are big business. Finding a bargain in a cool neighborhood in Glasgow, Edinburgh, or London is tricky, but not impossible.


Jacket: Armani from Rokit (London, UK)  
Got this online a few years ago and love it.
It wasn't cheap but I wear it to death.

Shirt: Ted Baker from Oxfam online  
Ted Baker design is fab, but the construction is sometimes less robust.

Scarf: Knitted gift from Little Theorem
One of my old girlfriends back in Scotland. She's much cooler than me.
She hand-dyes her own wool and writes her own knitting patterns.

 Skirt: Miu Miu from Oxfam online
This was in really bad shape, but I took it to an elder 
Portuguese seamstress here in PA and she fixed it right up for me.

Tights and shoes are not thrifted. 
Heaven knows where the tights come from. 
The shoes were from New Look UK about five years ago. 

I was inspired to do this after some interactions with other bloggers on BBN. Over the next few weeks I'm going to experiment with some new regular features on the blog, all loosely related to expat life and wotnot. Please do let me know what you think!

Thanks, Mark for taking shots. As usual I did the manual settings and Mark did his best ;)

8 comments:

  1. You look fabulous! Great colours on you. I don't buy a lot of new clothes myself, but I haven't tried thrift stores yet. It might be a big deal in our cities, but not in the countryside, where I live.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there are some in the country where you are, check them out! Sometimes urban thrift stores cater to the cool urban crowd and items can be far more expensive. Rural areas can harbor some real gems (just like you!).

      Delete
  2. very impressive! wish I had the patience for thrift stores - it would DEFINITELY help my wallet and creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always enjoyed thrift/vintage/charity shops because the activity itself can be enjoyable. Just to browse, and occasionally stumble upon things, can be a fun afternoon. I wouldn't always recommend it if you are looking for something specific…

      …However, that's exactly how I found my wedding shoes!

      Online thrift stores are a great invention. Oxfam's online store does pretty well (and even has a bridal section).

      Delete
  3. Hey beautiful lady! I can't believe the designer pieces you have found at charity shops, that kind of thing never happens around here! I think the younger folk working at the shops find them and nab them up before they really hit the floor. Shame!
    I love these photos, you look so chic against all that snow!! I can't believe you guys have more snow than we do in Ontario, the great white north is more grey/green than white right now :P.
    --Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I can't believe we have more snow than you either! Although it's all melting, which is okay by me.

      I saw your blog post about your latest dress, and it got me thinking. I have a suspicion that some of the chain charity shops here ship things around the country to suit the local demographics. Glasgow is super-cool for finding vintage gems, but also MUCH pricier. Ditto London, New York etc. Rural USA though where things are cheaper, but it's harder to seek out the good stuff.

      Delete
  4. I love this outfit. I need to incorporate more skirts into my wardrobe. Also, your hair is beautiful! Perfect curls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skirts and tights are brilliantly practical in bad weather, so I wore a lot in Scotland where it rains all the time. High heels not so much - I need me a new pair of wellies or boots methinks. I didn't bring mine over when I moved as they were very bulky.

      Thanks re: the hair. All natural. Total pain in humidity but perfect for winter ;)

      Delete